The Filipino Mussel Soup is a very reasonable dish. Immense tasting food is easy to cook.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tahong (mussels), cleaned
- 1 medium or 1/2 large sweet onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 thumb sized ginger, finely sliced
- 3 chopped into chunks
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2-3 tablespoons patis (fish sauce),
- 6-7 cups water (just enough to cover, less water => stronger flavor)
- Heat the oil in a medium, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger, and saute until the onion is translucent and they're fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, and saute until the tomatoes begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add half the water and fish sauce and heat to a boil. Add the mussels and the remaining water, just enough to barely cover!
- Cook till the mussels open over medium high heat. Right when they're done, toss in the spinach (as much as you want), stir and season with pepper and more fish sauce if you want.
- Serve hot.